Garrett M. Wiedmeier
Seattle, WA 98112 | 206-905-4790 fax/voicemail
- Extensive server management history: Virtual Servers, Linux and all Windows versions from NT 3.51 thru Windows NT 4.0, Windows 2000, Windows 2003 Server and Windows 2008, including multi-site Active Directory networks.
- More than a decade of website scripting and database history using ColdFusion, PHP, XML, SQL and other scripting languages to create data-driven and user interactive websites.
- Highly regarded leadership participation in community organizations including aviation, technical user groups and virtual online organizations.
Advanced Technical Skills
- Virtual server setup and administration using VMware and Microsoft Hyper-V.
- Internet Information Server (IIS) 4.0/5.0/6.0 setup and administration.
- SQL Server 7.0/2000/2005/2008 setup, administration and database design.
- MySQL and PostgreSQL server management.
- Exchange Server 5.5/2000/2003/2007 setup and administration, including server clusters.
- Web applications administration including PHP, ASP, Flash, SOAP web services.
- PHP and ASP web application management.
- Windows server clusters and load balancing using cluster service, WLBS and Big-IP.
- Monitoring and reporting of data center operations using SiteScope and Mercury products.
- DNS server (BIND) setup, coordination and administration.
- Active Directory planning, migration and management.
- Live e-commerce links to credit card and check processing systems.
- Security planning and firewall setup: Successfully thwarted hackers during the WTO ministerial conference in Seattle, 1999.
- Cisco router configuration and firewall access control lists.
- PFSense and other BSD-based firewalls
- Telecommuter and inter-office VPN setup, administration and education.
- Linux server administration using Debian and Debian-based distributions.
- 20 years general desktop publishing, graphic design and office automation experience using Adobe PageMaker, Adobe PhotoShop, Adobe Illustrator, CorelDraw!, Visio and MS Office.
Network Administrator – Capitol Hill Housing
(October 2010 – present)
- Manage acquisition, installation and maintenance of all computer systems.
- Maintain security including desktop and network access control devices.
- Document and inventory all systems.
- Plan for and execute backup and restore operations.
Network and Database Administrator – Herrera Environmental Consultants
(February 2007 – August 2010)
- Consolidated 30 percent of servers into virtual infrastructure using VMware and Hyper-V.
- Established helpdesk procedures, monitoring and baseline performance figures.
- Championed path to enterprise-class applications such as SQL server and SAN hardware.
- Consolidated storage and introduced new automated network management operations.
- Integrated regional offices into the main headquarters network.
- Lead all technical aspects of the company’s technology including computers, servers, networks, printers, phone systems, logistical/strategic planning and vendor contracts.
Manager of IT Services – Downtown Seattle Association
(October 2001 – July 2006)
- Converted proprietary databases to SQL server 2000/2005 and web-based intranet tools.
- Integrated and secured large county taxpayer databases with urban street-level statistics.
- Linked databases to GIS and dynamic mapping applications.
- Created statistical reports that helped establish a business improvement district.
- Significant emphasis on emergency preparedness, communications and documentation.
Consultant – GMWNET, Inc.
(September 1996 – ongoing)
- Founded company in 1996 and created corporation in 1998.
- Officespace.com’s lead technical “go-to guy” and administrator since 1997.
- Developed and planned Internet solutions for businesses and larger organizations such as Washington Apple Commission, Intel, resorts, and advertising firms.
- Well-rounded “rent a geek” exercising many technical disciplines.
Senior Network Engineer – divine, Inc. (previously marchFIRST)
(September 2000 – September 2001)
- On call 24/7 for Fortune 500 clientele.
- Designed setup and operated multi-server environments for large scale Internet activities.
- Created load-balanced and clustered SQL Server, IIS and Exchange environments.
- Completed ITIL help desk procedures including Remedy Action Request System.
Chief Technology Officer – Columbia Resource Group
(July 1999 – March 2000)
- Created, designed and developed new IT division from inception to services launch.
- Oversaw and participated in development of back-end infrastructure.
- Daily operations such as programming, maintenance, user support, sales and client relations.
- Hired, trained and supervised staff of seven and contractors.
Project Manager – MorseMcFadden Communications
(September 1996 – September 1997)
- Wrote, distributed, designed and published press releases and newsletters.
- Developed computer network for high technology press release delivery service.
- Utilized and implemented “push/pull” Internet technologies such as Intermind, Backweb and Pointcast.
Central Washington University, Ellensburg, Washington
Bachelor of Arts degree, June 1996. Public relations major, mass media/journalism minor.
“Public Relations Outstanding Student, 1996”
District Director, Public Relations Student Society of America (PRSSA)
Newspaper section editor
Everett Community College, Everett, Washington
Associate of Arts and Sciences degree, August 1994. Journalism emphasis.
Honors, Accolades and Associations
- Manager of the Seattle ColdFusion User’s Group – 2003 to 2007.
- Event Director, Virtual Air Simulation Network (VATSIM), ZSE section.
- FAA licensed private pilot.
- Private pilot instrument rating.
- Herold Wilson Memorial Award – 1993. Awarded for ‘outstanding contributions to public enlightenment about general aviation.’
- Virtual Pilot, Pacific Airways.
- Virtual Senior Controller, Seattle Center, VATSIM.
- Member, Washington Pilots Association and Experimental Aircraft Association.