Deeply experienced IT professional with customer focused team efforts as a manager, mentor, systems and applications administrator, and all-around technical generalist.
Airport Systems Administrator
Snohomish County, Everett, WA
Remote: August 2023 – present
- Maintain Paine Field (PAE) computer and network systems
- Support all airport users including executives, fire department, maintenance, administration and operations
- Liaise with county IT department on shared technology services
DiBell Group/L3Harris, Melbourne, FL
Remote: September 2020 – September 2022
Technologies: Aegis FactoryLogix, Windows 2012, 2016, and 2019 server, Agile, Scrum, ServiceNow, Confluence, Jira, PowerShell, batch scripting
- Manufacturing Execution Systems (MES) administration for large defense contractor L3Harris.
- Many system upgrades, custom applications support and regression testing in concert with the development team using Agile methodologies.
- Aegis FactoryLogix upgrades and migrations from other systems.
- Assist security team with vulnerability mitigations.
- Third level advanced application support and windows server troubleshooting
TERRA Staffing Group, Everett WA
October 2018 – May 2020
Technologies: TrueNAS, Asterisk, Linux (ubuntu), VMWare, Active Directory, Windows server 2016, SQL server, Microsoft Exchange, Jira, vulnerability scanning, data center ops, VPN, firewalls
- Manage, mentor and provide leadership to a team of 6 IT professionals
- Oversee busy help desk with mostly remote user support
- Maintain IT infrastructure, including data center, headquarters and 11 branch offices across 4 states
- Planned successful data center move, and multiple branch office facility changes in one year
- Oversee software development for private intranet tools and public facing employment website with mobile apps
System Administrator/IT Director
Applied Technical Services (now Creation Tecnologies), Everett WA
March 2014 – October 2018
Technologies: Windows server 2008-2016, VMWare, Hyper-V, Active Directory, IIS, Microsoft Exchange, SQL Server, SharePoint, Jira, Group Policy (GPO), Oracle Agile PLM, Infor FourthShift, VLAN, VPN, SonicWall, server hardening, network segmentation and isolation
- Promoted from Senior Systems Administrator (2015) and IT Manager (2018).
- Manage, mentor and provide leadership to a team of 10 IT professionals across many disciplines in three factories and two countries.
- Member of the Extended Leadership Team reporting to the Executive Team via Business Process Review (BPR) meetings weekly.
- Major project management: On-time delivery of infrastructure for large new factory, company-wide cloud email migrations and MRP system updates.
- Performance setting and goals: Achieved 99.5% helpdesk team positive response time and 98%+ positive completion of issues, well within our internal SLA.
- Manage and support ERP, MES and PLM systems such as Oracle Agile, Aegis, FactoryLogix, Fourth Shift and others.
- Intensive data integration focus between many different systems.
- Employee of the year 2016.
Network Administrator/IT Manager
Capitol Hill Housing, Seattle WA
October 2010 – March 2014
Technologies: Windows server 2003-2012, Active Directory, Microsoft Exchange, IIS, SQL Server, SharePoint, Group Policy (GPO), VPN, SonicWall, public disclosure retention policies
- Promoted from Network Administrator
- Manage IT staff, equipment acquisition, installation, and maintenance of all computer and telecommunications systems in a multi-site network including main headquarters, data center, and 40+ remote offices
- Major office moves, network subnet planning, and IP re-alignment with cross-forest Exchange and Active Directory migrations
- Planning, documenting, and executing backup and disaster recovery operations, including successful yearly restoration drills and executive briefings
- Member of cross-department Leadership Team focused on issues, events, and management of organization objectives including the planning for our new headquarters building in 2014
Most of this was taken from a biography I wrote fresh out of college. How cute, it was. Nonetheless, most points are still valid.
I was born Sunday May 7, 1972 in Everett, WA. I am a definite Taurus.
I grew up in Everett, WA and attended Emerson Elementary, Evergreen Middle and Cascade High School. I then took a year off to explore my interest areas and went back to school at Everett Community College. I graduated from EvCC with an associate degree in journalism and transferred to Central Washington University where I graduated from CWU with a BA in public relations.
My special interest in life is flying. My dad took me to my first air show when I was three and I believe ever since then I have been fascinated by flight (even though the jets scared me to death at the time!). I earned my private pilot license when I was 17. I then went on to earn my instrument rating the next year. Planning to continue on with the goal of becoming a commercial pilot, I flew more than 250 hours in the following year and a half. Unfortunately the pilot prospects for jobs was bleak at the time, and rather than spend huge sums of money on a prayer of getting a job, I chose to pursue my other talents and study communications.
Today I still consider aviation as my main interest. I have volunteered for many aviation oriented groups and associations, concentrating in youth aviation education. I find this appealing because it is great to work with kids and watch them explore and capture the same feelings I found when I was younger.
Flying may not be my livelihood, but it is very much my life.
Additional miscellany as of
2006 2013 2020:
Favorite color: Green
Mac-n-cheese Tator Tot casserole/hot dish (nostalgia is setting in) Single Married
10 17 20 25+ years in IT, having spent less than 1 year in the field I studied in school
Still an aviation nut — I’m a virtual pilot and virtual air traffic controller on game networks
ColdFusion is my rock star programming language (10 years ago)
Bought a house, sold a house, bought a condo, bought a new bathroom. Sold the Condo, moved to the burbs, bought huge house
Living Downtown — don’t think I’ll ever go back. You didn’t. You’re in the burbs now.
Worked in the SF Bay Area for a year
Living contentedly with 2 cats. Upgraded to plus one husband
Please feel free to contact me:
Everett, WA 98203
Four two-five 320-5823
garrett @at@ gmwnet .dot. com
We took a 3 night cruise from Seattle to Victoria and Vancouver on Princess Cruises ship Crown Princess in mid October. This particular voyage choice fit our idealized desires of a shorter, after season experience where there was less fanfare, less crowds, less duration and after all schools had started. And it departed Seattle, with …
Social media has certainly taken a toll on this blog. I’ll still keep this here as it’s fun to see the history.